Thursday, June 15, 2006

New Dictionary of Christian Apologetics

InterVarsity Press has just released The New Dictionary of Christian Apologetics, edited by Campbell Campbell-Jack and Gavin J. McGrath; C. Stephen Evans in the consulting editor. This is a large and rather comprehensive volume. I wrote the entries on the following topics:

1. Theistic Proofs
2. Point of Contact
3. Cyberspace
4. Technology
5. Pascal
6. Gnosticism

The only other similar volume to come out in recent days is Geisler's one man show, Baker's Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics (1999), which suffers from the weaknesses of having only one author, however encyclopedic his propensities may be.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Why were you disappointed with Benson's entry? Only because he is a "postmodernist sympathizer"?

In my experience, Benson is both a committed Christian and a fantastic philosopher. His book "Graven Ideologies: Nietzsche, Derrida, and Marion on Modern Idolatry" is a wonderful overview of the postmodern (or "continental") attempt to rethink the divine outside the parameters of what Heidegger called "onto-theology." I'm extremely sympathetic to Heidegger's critique, and I've found the folks Benson discusses (Nietzsche, Derrida, Marion, as well as Pseudo-Dionysius, Aquinas, and Meister Eckhart) to be quite helpful in trying to deal with the problem of idolatry.

Benson also co-edited a book (with Norman Wirzba) on the "Phenomenology of Prayer". Once again: a fantastic collection of excellent, groundbreaking essays.

In any case, I don't like to know what you found problematic with the piece. Obviously, I haven't read it, but I plan to get a copy soon.

Adam

Adam said...

I wrote: "In any case, I don't like to know what you found problematic with the piece. Obviously, I haven't read it, but I plan to get a copy soon."

That's not right: "In any case, I would like to know..."

Sorry about the slip up.

Adam