Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Taken, Given, Lost

He lived his own life
--fortune, achievement,
luck, savvy, setback,
uplift, downturn--
Self-made man, standing tall.

until it all ended,
upended,
blown out, blown up. Over.

The end, ending, ended, End.

But then he knew what he had
suppressed, repressed:
it was not
his own life to live
at all, ever. But all had been given.

The taken had been the Given.

But now all was lost, and taken (what he thought had not been Given)

The ideal he modeled would allure many into the same

land of endless regret.

3 comments:

Paul D. Adams said...

The disciples came to him and asked, "Why do you speak to the people in parables?"

Interpretation please?

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

What is it worth if one gain his whole life and lose his soul? What can he give in exchange for his soul?

Claude said...

It speaks for many of us. So much time lost...

My Birth Day is the day I was found by the Lord. Trying since to make each hour worthwhile. Alas! not always succeeding. At 42, bad habits, earthly ambitions were hard to shake off...At least, I knew the right direction. At times, even after many years, it's still tough going. The world pulls me the other way.

One thing I learned: God is faithful. Once you're with Him, He will never drop you from His hand.It always seems a miracle. At the right moment, when I need it the most, someone, something appears in front of me, and gives me the push I need to climb the next step.

This blog, and many comments, have been a blessing. Thank you for your ministry.